Thursday, November 11, 2010

Best Macaroni and Cheese EVER


Okay so I know this is going to sound crazy but it's Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese. Roast 25-40 mins until it's soft and is removed easily. Cook 1 lb of pasta (I did Rotini, but I'm sure any noodle would work). Once the squash and the pasta are done:
Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan. When the butter stops foaming, whisk in 2 Tbsp of flour (The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of mustard but I omitted it). Whisk for one minute, then gradually add 2 cups of milk. Whisk for 5-7 minutes until it thickens to the consistency of heavy cream. Then remove from heat and stir in squash and 6 oz of sharp white cheddar cheese and 6 oz of mexican cheese mix (a colby jack or monterey jack cheese would work - technically the recipe calls for 8 oz of sharp white cheddar). Once cheese is melted, stir the mixture into the pasta. Optional: sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.

I have to tell you, this is the best macaroni and cheese I have EVER had. Plus it's healthy because of the squash. The squash adds some sweetness and makes it creamier. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment